Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day thoughts


Today, on this fabulous day of Saint Valentine, I was thinking about Love and all the different kinds of love I have experienced in my wee 34 (soon to be 35) years of existing on this little blue planet.
There's how much I love my parents, and how that love has changed and grown
over the years (and to be honest, even strained for a few years during puberty). And don't forget the first pangs of hormonal Junior High obsessive love, whether it be for a classmate or most likely some teeniebopper marketed, radio over-played singer. How you could be SO crushed if they did something rude or mean, and you could change your feelings from obsessing to despising with a week.
There was my first "grown-up" love in collage, which managed to turn into a 10 year committed relationship. And then there's discovery of self-love, where you actually like yourself and put your mental, emotional and psychological health above all the crazy people you have managed to attract into your life! Later comes the more mature love, that has less to do with "hipness" and more with emotional, social and lifestyle compatibility.
And finally, "love-at-first-sight", and how that TRULY exists. I know it does, and every parent feels it when they see their child for the first time. You are utterly and totally unprepared for it, but grateful and humbled by it as well. I have never known a love so fierce in my life - I have become a more outspoken, vigilant and honest person due to this tiny person. I have never been more connected or more protective of another human being than I am with Xander.
And, with this deepening of feeling, comes a more tender love between my spouse and I. We are a family now. Connected through our son for the rest of our lives.
It doesn't get much better than that...

No comments:

Post a Comment